7/06/2012

Variance101

Thursday I cashed in 1 out of 23 MTTs and 0 out of 4 satellites. I followed through with my game plan for the most part but could do a bit better at game selection and amount of tables possibly. Overall I think I am playing well and doing lots of things right and just experiencing the downside of variance.

I just got done giving a lesson to one of my students that won a $65 live MTT yesterday. I would like to say, Great job Ray! Our lesson went very well and I expect many more positive results to come. Today we went over the HH of the $3r 2k I played yesterday. There was several good spot to discuss and put Sheets charts to use on. I was able to pick up on 2 spots that I shoved a little light on as well. I am really enjoying the lessons and I am very pleased when I get to hear good results like Ray's win.

Downswings are crazy wild in how brutal they can affect a players mental state. I recently blogged about a HS MTT reg friend of mine that went on a downswing and was considering switching to cash but before he could switch he wins the Sunday $530 and now is on his way to Las Vegas to play the Main Event at the WSOP. I wonder where he would be if he would had given in to the pressure of the downswing and switched to cash. It could have worked out, but I doubt he would be heading to play the Main Event. I think it is important to know our strengths and if your strengths is in MTTs just use strict BRM and stay the course don't look for alternative solutions like switching to cash if in a downswing. I think we would be better off reducing tables and distractions while increasing focus and just fight through the downswing.

Poker is one game where a player really can get back out of it what they put in. Good luck to all the grinders, work hard and get the money!

LONG LIVE ONLINE POKER!

If you are interested in taking lessons or need any information contact me at variance101@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment