7/02/2012

BR, friends, risk vs reward

Sunday I cashed in 5 out of 27 MTTs and 0-2 in satellites. Overall it was a decent day but I still have a few things I need to work on and plan on doing just that. As most of y'all know from following the blog I deposited $200 on Carbon May 12, 2012 and started trying to build a roll. I got lucky and binked a 3rd place my first night back which got me going. I have since been playing as much as I can and have been through many ups and downs in the almost three months I been back.

I am currently at a point with my BR where I can comfortably play low stakes and I can add in a few mid-stakes. One of the problems I am trying to work through now is that my BR is right on the line with being able to afford some of the mid-stakes MTTs so it comes down to a judgement call and I have been taking the shots a little to often and adding variance and risk to my day. I don't think this is a very big leak but it is a leak and I need to figure out a way to tone it down just a bit. With the smaller fields and smaller guarantees we are currently able to play in the USA it takes some adjusting to and I sometimes find a hard time being okay with playing all the $22 2k and 3ks but avoiding a $33 7.5k. I think I will take a deeper look at my schedule and see if I can justify adding in one or two MTTs a day barely outside my roll that have lots of value. I definitely need a plan though because right now I am giving in to often and I believe strict BRM is important so I want to stop giving in.

I had a great chat with a friend/student today, Monday, and it was awesome hearing his thoughts on my play. I was also able to answer a few questions about playing or avoiding spots that are correct but close. He was curious if I a player with a small edge on the field should avoid some spots and take a lower variance route. Basically I answered yes and no. If the spot if +EV it is exactly that and should not be avoided, but there is definitely times where you can factor in ICM and strength of the field to avoid a spot or two that has to much risk and not enough reward. All in all it was a good poker discussion and I think we both enjoyed it.

If anyone is interested in lessons or has any questions email me at variance101@gmail.com

LONG LIVE ONLINE POKER!



No comments:

Post a Comment