7/20/2012

Talk poker with friends

Today I cashed in 0 out of 21 MTTs and 1 out of 3 satellites. I was able to finally win a 109 ticket though. I was on a brutal spell of bricking out of the 109 satellites but finally got one today. I did have a few deep runs today, but was not able to come through in the key flips to keep going. I believe I am playing well, avoiding getting emotional or tilted, and working towards improving every day. I also feel as if I haven't been able to post any good results in a while, but I want all of y'all to know they are coming.

The poker chat is going really well. Everyone seems to be getting the hang of it, and I think everyone is improving. It is more than just hanging out. It takes effort and practice to soak in all the relevant info from a posted hand and then give a reply that makes sense and can help people. Actually I had to ask one of my friends to take it more serious. He tends to give well thought out responses after taking in half the information.

Here is one brutal instance that I think can be used as a learning tool that recently happened to me. I was having a hand discussion with a student when a friend commented offering an alternate line. I immediately told him I thought the line was bad and gave him reasons behind my thinking. We carried on for about thirty minutes then he tried to say he thought we were talking about a different hand. Then he tried to say well he was busy and got confused. And ultimately gave the, I was just trying to help. I guess its just me but if I am going to reply to a hand I am going to gather up all the information and then give a response with reasons. I don't understand how he thinks creating a 30 min discussion, which was mostly me talking him out of a bad line, could be justified as helpful. What would have been helpful is if he would have just made sure he looked at the right info and then before carrying on for 30 min maybe even double check the hand history before spending all that energy justifying insanity.

I tend to think of a chat as a "treat people as you wish to be treated" type of environment. I would think if you are giving 100% and trying your best to comment on posted hands with a thought out response that has reasons behind the actions, that others will notice and try to give you the same. But on that same note if you find yourself taking the information for granted and giving misguided responses without reasons, you may get the same in return and that can't be beneficial. I think it is an easy concept to grasp for most, but some guys that have been in chats before may have some bad habits and could really benefit from trying a little harder. It may seem simple but I think its easy to take things for granted and hard to give 100%. So sometimes I like to offer a little pep talk of sorts and try to get people to understand you will get out of it what you put in.

I know this could seem like a lot of talk about poker chats, but a poker chat is an instrumental part of improving. In basically every podcast or interview I have ever heard or seen when a great player is asked to give advice for people trying to improve, its always talk poker with friends as much as possible. Talking poker and discussing hands is crucial to improvement and is by far one of the most important things I learned.

LONG LIVE ONLINE POKER!

If you are interested in taking lessons or need any information contact me at variance101@gmail.com and/or visit http://variance101.com/#.


No comments:

Post a Comment