7/09/2012

Sunday, free-rolls, HH discussions

Sunday I got my earliest start on the virtual felt since coming back to online in May. I started playing today at 1pm due to the Tourney King Free-rolls on Merge. I was also in a 5k invitational Free-roll at 2pm and had won a satellite into the 125k that started at 3pm. Not to shabby to have a shot at about 150k in guarantees across four MTTs and only be in for the $11 satellite. 

I had a plan to keep the volume down a little and increase my focus at the tables. Sundays have the most value so it only makes sense to give it all we have. Overall I really felt I played good today and I know that I am improving. As far as results go, I cashed in 2 out of 19 MTTS and 2 out of 2 satellites. Unfortunately all my cashes were for the minimum or close to it. I will say that I followed my plan and had under 6 MTTs up for most of the day and really stayed focused. 

Due to the fact I was keeping the volume down a little and several of the MTTs had deep stacks today I was also able to look up most of the players I encountered in OPR and take notes and give them an appropriate icon which really helps when ranging a player. Knowing how much they play, their average buy-in, their return on investment, and how much profit they have can really help when trying to figure out their range. I usually do this when down to the last couple of tables in a MTT but today I was in several MTTs with deep stacks and long levels which meant I wouldn't be getting bounced table to table as much so I started looking up the players when I had time.

I will tell you today was full of all kinds of interesting hands. The day started with lots of great 3b spots and flop texture dependent spots and I posted several of the hands in the chat to use as examples of good spots  or textures to be aware of. I also had a few spots that had me shaking my head. I posted one hand where I flatted a SB 3b over an EP open with AK from the BB, the original opener folded and the flop came KQTccs and the SB leads for 2/3rds pot and 1/3rd their stack. I decide I can only beat KJ, JJ,    and chop w AK so I fold. Pre-flop the flat was for 12% of my stack and I knew it was marginal but I had him ranged as a tight player and thought taking a flop in position might not be bad. I posted the hand to show that sometimes we can fold AK on K high flops when the villains range leaves you with only beating a couple hands, but then the whole discussion turned into what to do pre. We all agreed the fold on the flop was best but Pre we had a few shoves, a fold, and then my friend Shane and I finally decided we like the 4b/f best. We will win the pot pre with the 4b some, we can fold if he shoves because the extra information on this tight player will let us know we are beat, and in the rare cases he flats we can make a decision on the flop like we did.

I will say the highlight of the day was after my session when my friend Shane and I went over about 35 of the problem hands I had saved over the last couple days. It was one of the best HH discussion I have had. I had several great spots that we run the equity numbers on and ranged the player, then ran it again with different hands, it was a great learning experience. We also found one type of situation that showed up a few times that we discussed and I don't think it will be showing up in my starred hands list anymore. Don't get me wrong I do HH discussion often and all are beneficial, but tonight there just seemed to be some excellent spots to discuss and work through and I felt like we got through them all.

After a rough week my BR is still down from where it was so this week will be full of smaller buy-ins and hard work. I think it's important to fight your way out of a downswing slowly with strict BRM and discipline. It is to easy to chase and want it to fast. All chasing and wanting it to fast will do is speed up the going broke process and we don't want that. I watched a good video on PxF from RdCrsn, it was the first in the series covering his Big 50 FT on Stars. RdCrsn is fairly new to PxF but I thought he did a really good job and I will be excited when the next part in the series is up for viewing.

Variance101 is going well and if you are interested in taking lessons and joining our chat hit me up. If you would like to book lessons or have any questions please email me at variance101@gmail.com.

LONG LIVE ONLINE POKER!


No comments:

Post a Comment