5/20/2012

Yes I can

Believing in yourself is so important. When I used to help pool players improve one of the first things I would ask them would be to not let themselves say anything negative. Sometimes you may not be able to stop yourself from thinking negative thoughts, but you definitely do not have to verbalize the thought and give it life. I believe that just this step of not allowing yourself to say, I can't, in any way shape or form is in itself an improvement. I think any person that does this is instantly moving in the right direction and will improve at what ever they are doing.
Example, lots of pool players prefer either a 9ft table or a 7ft bar table. Often you would hear someone say, I hate the big tables and never play good there, or vice versa for the bar tables. I think that just by saying that they are creating problems they don't need. What happens next time they are in a match or game on the table they don't like and something bad happens. My guess is they will have thoughts like, I hate these tables anyway, and I wish I was on a different table, and such. I believe just by not verbalizing the negative and believing in yourself you can get past these things and are way better off for it. If you are telling yourself that you are capable and good on both tables, and kept saying it and working on your game, then you will rarely be in that negative mindset that only works against you. Hope everyone understands my example and finds a way to relate to poker or whatever your into.
I have a friend who has been working on their poker game some and seems to possibly feel a little overwhlmed. They have read books and  watched some videos but not sure they have got much out of it. I think one of the reason is the approach, but another is in the self belief. I know a better approach where they tackle topics and apply step by step instead of taking to much in at once will help. But, more importantly I think killing more of the negative and believing they are and will be improving is huge too.
I know there are lots of y'all out there that have read a book or two and/or watched some videos and after might not feel they have learned or retained much. It takes more than just the act of watching or reading. You have to believe it will help you and apply yourself in a way that is beneficial. Take small steps and really learn each page or video until moving on. It is okay to read or watch it several times until you think you have it. Also try to hone in on anything that you feel you don't understand fully and stay with it until you do. Improving is possible and not all that tough if you go about it the right way. Luckily for us, most people do not try to improve from a belief they are better than they are, lots of the ones that do probably don't go about it optimally, and they just don't seem to get much out of it.
It all starts with you and believing you can do it, the rest is easy.

Variance101 Poker Training
$100 and hour, 3 hour minimum
No ego, No emotion, Just poker!
Email variance101@gmail.com for info/appointment

No comments:

Post a Comment