5/05/2012

Day 1B Hard Rock 100k

About to head to hard Rock for the 100k gtd day 1b and I am feeling good. I came home after getting knocked out yesterday and chose to stay at home and relax mostly with the thought of being well rested and prepared for today. I caught myself yesterday making an error that I don't make much anymore, and honestly it was awesome. Say what you will but you will not learn anything by playing "perfect". It takes mistakes and correcting mistakes to improve. One very common problem with poker players is that they don't know they are making a mistake and they win just often enough to believe they are good winner. With not knowing and thinking that they are possibly better than they are their growth is stunted until they realize and start working harder at improving. I played pool for a living for many years and the only way to make money is know how good you are so you get in games you can win. I thought I was using that at poker until I took lessons and then I was so angry with myself for thinking I was better than I was. That realization alone helped me improve dramatically. I took a few months off at the beginning of the year and there is a little rust on my game, yesterday's mistake and the fact I didn't catch it until I was reflecting on my play last night at home, even more proves the rust is there and the necessity to stay sharp with your game, always talk poker, and keep learning by reading and taking lessons. I know after some reflecting last night, some poker review last night and today, and just the fact I realized I was rustier than I thought, that today will be an awesome day. Good luck to all of you and contact me for lessons I am ready to help.

Update- Got knocked out with about an hour left in play until day 1 ended. I went with what I thought and I ended up beat, it happens. Hard Rock has shown some improvement the last couple events by listening to the players so that's good news, good luck to any of y'all still in.

2 comments:

  1. Wow I really like that analogy to playing pool! It is extremely important to know exactly where you stand in a game, and to be able to walk away if it is too tough. I used to be extremely arrogant and cocky. I thought I was God's gift to poker and that I could destroy the best of the best heads up. Well I was wrong and have been humbled by the game on MANY occasions. Because of my arrogance and lack of self control, I missed out on making a fortune back in the partypoker days. Now self control is my strong suit but many of the opportunities have passed. However, I will keep practicing and trying to improve so that I am ready when online poker gets legalized.

    Keep up the good posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments

    ReplyDelete