6/16/2012

You better work, turn to the left.

Friday I woke up a little late and jumped in the shower and started my day. I decided to not go after food and instead planned on having a banana to start and soup and a sandwich a break or two in. As long as I have a plan for food I am fine and I feel as if I am ready for my session. What I try to avoid is just diving into a session and then while very busy and multi-tablng start feeling hungry with no plan. The showering and treating my sessions like a job that I clean up and get dressed for helps to. I don't like to be mid-session and want a shower, it's simply a distraction I can avoid by being prepared.

The day started off great. I was building chips on all tables and won the first couple races I had. The first MTT I joined I 30+ min late registered for. It was the $16.50 1k and it had 68 players. I was also in a 109 ticket satellite and a couple others. I think when I joined the $16.50 1k about a third of the field had already been knocked out and I doubled the first hand I played. I went onto win the $16.50 1k and the $109 ticket satellite and was done with both less than three hours into my session. I played very well in my opinion. I made a few big lay-downs and overcame a 4 to 1 disadvantage HU to win. It was a wonderful start to my session.

Overall for the day I cashed in 4 out of 26 MTTs and 1 out of 3 satellites. I was able to make three final tables and secure one win. The other two final tables ended in a 4th and an 8th. I really feel that I am a good player and that I have been playing solid since late 2010, but since coming back to online a month ago I have really strengthened my game. I have been doing more HH reviews and practicing ranges in pokerstove. I have also been frequenting the forums to and talking hands in poker chat. And for those of you that read that and think, "All I need is a poker chat group and I would be so much better", you are right to an extent, but you must realize that the poker chat has not made me better. The reason I am better is because I post hands often and persuade players to give opinions. I also try and comment on others hands when I see them. And most importantly I have had the drive to do HH reviews after sessions and managed to fix a few important leaks and improve my lines and ranges.

The moral of the story is that everyone wants some type of quick fix or always feels that there is one or two things missing and if they had it, like a chat group, they would be light years ahead of where they are. But the truth is the only way to get better is work hard. A poker chat can help but they are 90% filled with chat and bust out hands. It takes work to get people talking about hands and staying positive. So for anyone wanting to improve, don't expect a miracle cure just work really hard. If you're in a poker chat work harder to get your friends talking hands and staying positive, and if you're not, start one or take lessons with me and I will place you in one, but know that it takes work. Lessons are the same way, they won't just fix you. Usually they will expose your leaks then it is up to you to take that information and apply it. If you are constantly paying bad prices for set-mining for example and the lesson exposed that. Then it would be up to you to use the information of the correct price you can pay and not pay and prices higher than that. Basically I am saying that when a person decides to put in the work, that is when they will see results. I will say once you reach that point, poker chat and lessons are very valuable.

I myself am a hard worker and have been seeing the results. After my session I uploaded the HH of the MTT I won and reviewed it. I had stove out and every hand that caught my eye was discussed in the poker chat. I'll be honest it wasn't easy I had to twist a couple arms but after some small persuading I got lots of helpful discussion from my friends. It really wasn't to bad I am lucky to be in a good chat group with solid players. But I will tell you that complacency can run wild and it helps to have someone pushing the discussions or it can just be chat and bust-out hands. When I say that I don't mean this chat but chats in general. Again my point comes down to work hard and you see results.

I have had several recent emails about lessons and I am very excited to take on some new students. I have been putting extra time in on working on my game and preparing for lessons. I want to make sure I can give the players all the help they need.

Contact me for lessons at variance101@gmail.com





No comments:

Post a Comment