6/16/2012

oi poker

Why do players torture themselves by getting frustrated a decent percentage of the time they lose a flip or get sucked out on? They get frustrated and claim to be sick of poker, or MTTs a little to often but, we all know that they will be playing more MTTs later or the next day. I have seen so many players getting frustrated lately. Most of these players have a solid edge in the game but seem to not be grasping the fact that everyone is going to take beats. I mean obviously these guys are smart and very capable and understand they are going to take some beats, but it doesn't always seem like it. In my opinion all you need to do is understand variance and then expect to lose some hands. I am not saying you should plan on getting drawn out on, but you should know it is going to happen some and be prepared.

So many common spots like shoving over the top of an opener with a common opening range of 20% of hands with AKo is only 60/40. In this very common scenario you should now that you are liable to lose 40% of the time so no reason to get upset if it happens.

I don't fully understand the compulsion of sharing or posting bust-out hands. I suppose the guys that do this a lot are seeking some kind of comfort, but for the most part these type of posts don't get replies and  not many players want to hear a bad beat story. I also think that these guys are wasting so much energy and focus posting the hand. I bet the time it takes to post a bust-out hand is similar to the amount of time it takes to look up a player on OPR. Which do you think will help you more in game?

I think I take beats better than most players but I still have that feeling of wanting someone to share my pain occasionally. I just don't act on it often, if at all. Every time I take a beat and don't let it affect me I grow stronger. With practice and the building of better habits this has become second nature to me. I just know that most poker players don't handle beats well and if I can, I am increasing my edge in the game.

I do know that everyone is different. Some players aren't the least bit concerned about looking into a chat room and seeing a bunch of bust-out hands. To some chats are more laid back and used for conversation, beats, and brags. While others may want to be surrounded with more positivity and hope to avoid all the bust-out hands and want the chat to be more for strategy, hand discussion, and railing. I don't think there is necessarily a right or wrong way to do it, I just know I prefer a more positive environment. I suppose its important to not let chats filled with bust-out hands bother me, and to get as much good out of the chat as I can and ignore the negative.

Today I cashed in 5 out of 23 MTTs with two final tables. I also played 3 satellites with no cashes. All in all it was a decent day. I finished in 3rd and 6th on my two final tables, but was only a hold away from going deeper in both. I somehow managed to forget the final table picture for the $11c 4k so instead I took a pic of the hand that got me short. I was in the BB with 22bbs and ATs and the SB shoved 11bbs with A6s. I called and he made the nuts on the turn. It was a little unlucky but a completely standard spot.

Tomorrow is the best day for online poker and I plan on attacking it. I have been working hard and studying and will do everything in my power to have a great day. Good luck to all the grinders at the WSOP and good luck to all of us grinding online.

LONG LIVE ONLINE POKER!








No comments:

Post a Comment