6/23/2012

Hit a score, and a hella funny story

Today I cashed in 5 out of 16 MTTs and 0 out of 3 satellites. I was able to get a win in the $11 1.75k and a second in the $109 10k. I decided to use on of my satellite tickets in the Friday Evening 109 and had a great run. The heads up battle was brutal and after some back and forth I lost most of my chips in two hands.

The first hand I had AQdd and 3b his open, he flatted and the flop came 532dd, I cbet and got called, turn a Tc and I check/call, river is a Ts and I check/folded to a 80k bet with me holding 125k. I thought his river bet was either sized to force a fold or to level me into calling in that he wanted it to look weak. The villain was a very solid reg so I decided on the level.

The next hand I flatted Q4s from the bb and the flop was QT7 I check and he checked behind, the turn was a J and I led for 12k and he called, the river was a 4 board QT7J4 and I bet 30k out of 120k and he shoved. I tank called thinking there were lots of 1 pr and smaller 2 pr combos in his range with how the hand played, but he had AK for the nuts. The dynamic of the last half of dozens hands really worked in his favor as to me not believing his line.

All in all it was an amazing day. I adjusted my schedule a little bit and played a fewer MTTs through out the day. I kept around 6 tables up for most of the session but had the majority of my focus pinpointed at the 109 10k. I got several players looked up in OPR and was able to take several notes throughout the day a well. I also had about half a dozen really interesting spots come up and was able to get some valuable input from a coupe great players. Thanks for the help tford219 and naughtyeskimo. For the most part I was happy with my play in the tough spots, I made some good reads and decisions today. All the extra work is definitely paying off.

I have a lesson at 1pm tomorrow and picked up two new students today. I am very excited that Variance101 is starting to get positive reviews and I have students coming in. So far the added benefits of daily communication with them and adding the students into a poker chat with other grinders is going over very well. When I took lessons with three different guys in 2010 and 2011one of the things I noticed was the minimal communication when there was no lesson. Don't get me wrong they did a great job and helped me immensely but I think they could have been more available for a pm now and then. Who knows maybe they were and I didn't try hard enough but I remember getting the feeling that they wanted me to save questions for during the lessons. I can understand time being valuable and being paid for your efforts, but I think the availability to send a question to your coach whenever you want will make the students happier and be worth the time. In a way that is a good reason to start lessons with me as soon as possible because I will help as long as I have free time, but the more students I get the more my free time will probably decrease. But thanks to some great blog posts from Assassinato I have worked on scheduling my time and feel I will be on skype plenty enough to help. Contact me for lessons at variance101@gmail.com.

Its crazy how the last few days I was getting ITM less than 10% but then was able to get ITM around 30% today. Variance is real and it takes a large sample size for our numbers to level out. Over any short sample the numbers could be very skewed in one direction or the other. This is why BRM and emotional control is so important. We must be able to put in volume through the good and the bad while playing our A game if we want to see good results. The last few days as my BR withered and I came out a little loser each session was frustrating, but I knew if I stuck with my BRM and kept grinding the results would come. It's important we believe in ourselves and stay strong so we can reach our goals.







I was convinced I was going to be a pool player. I had been to Tulsa for 8 months with no car or place to live and had to run back to AR. Now I had a car and was ready to try again. I went and grinded for a while through all kinds of ups and downs. I lived in the pool hall and met all kinds of characters. One of my friends was a ticket scalper and spent half his time in Michigan and half in Tulsa. I had been struggling for a while but staying a live when he offered to take me with him to scalp tickets. The only problem was I needed some money to go, so I sold my car. We went to a few events and I worked my butt off scalping. All you have to do is talk to people and sell. Buy for cheap and sell for more, simple. We went to a few Nascar races, and an NFL game. We spent a lot of our downtime in pool halls across the country where I would gamble and try to add some money to our bankrolls too. The first trip we didn't get in a lot of action and most of the income was from scalping. I turned my few hundred into a couple thousand and while at the Texas 500 Nascar race I found a Dodge Van in the paper. I was eager to get a vehicle seeing how I sold mine to take the trip. I bought the van after the race weekend and we headed back to Tulsa. It was a productive trip, I made some money and replaced my vehicle.
The next year when the Daytona 500 was rolling around which was like the start of the scalping season my buddy asked if I wanted to go. We also invited another friend of mine and decided the three of us would take my van, so off to Florida we went. We were in Florida and I was driving and it was mid afternoon. It had been lightly raining and the roads had a little bit of rain on them. I was in the outside lane and came up behind a car I wanted to pass so I looked and didn't see anyone and starting to go around them. When I did at the last moment I saw a car right in my blind-spot that was now up by my window. I went to jerk the wheel to get back in my lane and I ripped the steering wheel off my van going 70 down the highway in Florida. Right when I did it I made eye contact with the passenger of the car and she looked as scared as I was. I yelled "what do I do, what do I do" in the loudest screechiest little bitch voice you ever heard. I had one friend in the passneger seat and the other behind us in the middle seat of the van. When I asked "what do I do, what do I do" my friend in the passenger seat was kind of froze but from the back I hear "PUT IT BACK ON", but it wasn't the normal "put it back on" it was more like if the Devil himself was in your van and screaming at you, it was treacherous. Needless to say I tried but the little jagged back of the wheel was like putting two clock gears together a male and a female. It was crazy with a hundred grooves are whatever. I kept trying to get it n but it wouldn't go. Luckily as I kept trying to get the steering wheel back on I also had put the brakes on and thanks to a good alignment we came to stop on the shoulder with no accident. My heart was racing but once I calmed down all we could do was laugh. The look on the lady's face and my friend being possessed by the devil to tell me to "PUT IT BACK ON", hahahaha. After the events and we were  heading back home there was a small argument and I was power driving through the night to get home. Pissed off and unhappy I drove straight through and had some tired moments. Every time I fell asleep at the wheel when I would wake up I would jerk and the steering wheel would come off. It came off like four more times on the way back but all were on straightway where we were only one on the road and nothing happened. I guess I was running good that night, ha.

What do I do, what do I do? .....PUT IT BACK ON! hahahahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment