6/29/2012

Addicted to improving

Today I cashed in 2 out of 19 MTTs and 1 out of 4 satellites. I was able to get a better start than yesterday and followed through with my ideas of tightening up the strictness in which I follow my buy-in parameters and I played a few less tables through some of the day. I was able to make one final table in the $11 1k but went out ninth after losing a race. I also had a 10th place finish when I bubbled the final table of the $22 3k in the same fashion.

As my session was winding down I let one of my students watch the end of my session. This gave me a chance to help him some but its also good practice for me to explain my thinking during the hand. My results weren't great day but I believe I am continuing to grow and that is something positive. I am not sure exactly how far I will be able to take it, but I love teaching poker. Don't get me wrong I am a player first. I give lessons for a couple hours a day and then play for 6-12. My main focus is playing and becoming the best player I can be, but to me a big part of that process is teaching. I enjoy teaching very much and find myself trying harder and harder to provide the absolute best coaching experience to my students. I am trying to build Variance101 into a respected source for online poker coaching and the only way to do that is by providing a quality product and that is my number one goal.

I have two lessons tomorrow and I am very excited to get to work helping these players. I have prepared for my lessons and I know tomorrow will be a good day. It is so cool giving a lesson and feeling the confidence coming from the student that the knowledge brings. I get a real since of pride after a good lesson. For me it's not about imparting my own thoughts on the student, but more about helping them understand how to think for themselves and work through any situation. The lessons usually start with leak finding to get to an optimal play style while learning to range players and find the equity in any given hand. It may sound complex but it is actually pretty simple once someone shows you the steps. 

I think one of my friends that is also taking lessons with me is going to be playing like a beast soon. He really does so many things right and after fixing a few leaks and showing him the things mentioned above he is understanding things so much better. Is their truly anything better than improving? I have been addicted to improving since the age of 15 when I started playing pool. I would practice or play for money everyday in an effort to keep getting better. I truly felt the best about myself when I knew I was improving something in my life. It didn't always have to be pool, if I improved my car, apartment, wardrobe, bankroll, or just myself in any way it was a good day. In a way that is one of the reasons I love online poker so much, there is so many ways to improve your game and lots of tools to help.

If anyone is interesting in taking lessons or has any questions please email me at  variance101@gmail.com. Along with the lessons I place all my students in a poker chat group filled with other committed grinders to help continue the daily learning. I also stay available to answer questions and review single hands daily. Please contact me and we can get you started at fixing your leaks and improving your game.

LONG LIVE ONLINE POKER!


No comments:

Post a Comment