2/05/2011

Friday

Started at 3pm today and cashed in 5 out of 41 MTTs with several deep runs but ultimately came up short and a little loser. We had the draft for the Feb. Team Comp on P5s and I believe that I picked a good team. These contests are great for motivation and networking through out the poker community. I had an early pick and was able to get apology7 a player I have been interested to chat with so I hope he is up for it. 
We got more snow today and they are expecting more over the next few days so I will deff be grinding. I see a lot of my FB friends posting about being stir-crazy but I would be grinding anyway and it doesn't bother me. I do like the option to be able to go to the store and for food though. 
I just listened to the new P5s podcast and Mike Matusow is such a tool. I mean sure he plays okay,  has had success, is deff a well known player, but his views on online players was ridiculous to say the least. Half the questions 7delux asked him were mildly answered before he went off on some tangent that did not make sense. I also thought it was extremely laughable how he bashed deep-stacks, but is Pro for Deep-stacks live, and how he said the public could be being robbed right now online and they would not know, but he works for FTP, so funny. I would almost guarantee he has some backlash for his comments. 
I would like to talk about my last couple days of poker but want to make sure I come off correct. They were full of deep runs that ended up cut short by beats taken when I get the chips in ahead. Obviously this happens to everyone and it is just variance, but I can understand the frustrations poker players feel when it happens several times over a short period of time. 
Over the last year I have had several downswings, some lengthy, but they never last. It just takes work to keep the emotion out and not get frustrated. It was easy for me at first because as I grinded I was also very active in a chat group of poker players. A few of the players had temper and tilt trouble so as they took a bad beat and flew off the handle, it was easy for me to see all the negativity that went with their emotion and make the decision to not let myself be that emotional. 
I also have a few small mental tricks I use that I taught myself while playing pool for a living 1995-2005. If I find myself in a rough moment I think to myself how would I want to act if the ten most important people in my life were watching, then I act accordingly. Obviously they are not there so it takes will power, but these type of thoughts can definitely stop you from throwing a mouse or punching a monitor. Two things I have never done but examples of recent stories I have heard from other poker players. I do know when taking the last few beats I realized that I do not yet have emotional detachment, but am more just controlling any outbursts. I feel emotion and also get upset, but I choose not to post bad beats or talk about them much. Although there is that overwhelming feeling to want to share your bad beat with someone so another person can feel your pain and sympathize. But truly that is all nonsense and we will be better off if the beats don't bother us and we just move on.
Well, thats enough out of me for now, I think I will watch some television and relax, back to the grind tomorrow. Good luck everyone, thanks for reading, feel free to leave a comment.

1 comment:

  1. enjoy reading your blog
    gl!!!

    janmoh

    ReplyDelete