8/22/2012

Increased focus

Tuesday I cashed in 3 out of 13 MTTs and 1 out of 1 satellites. I was able to make three final tables finishing 3rd, 6th, and 7th. The spots in the MTTs I got 6th and 7th in were standard and I don't think they should be played in any other way. In the MTT I got 3rd in I could have folded, but ended up getting it in behind. I opened and got 3b but felt that I should shove as the villain had just won two pots in a row going from third to first in chips and I felt they might have been trying to apply pressure as per our history. Overall I feel I played very well today and I will continue to improve.

Today I chose to play a lighter schedule, taking out most of the smaller buy-in MTTs and turbos. I felt as if I needed to work on increasing my focus. I want to avoid playing to many tables and ABC poker. I think as I continue to improve I find myself wanting more information. I thought if I played a few less tables, I would have more time to focus on each table which would provide me with the information to give the villains better ranges. With playing a few less tables I was able to spend more time watching showdowns I wasn't involved in along with giving me more time to OPR the players in the MTTs I am deep in. Once I OPR them I put some of their key stats in the notes box and give each villain an appropriate icon. Having knowledge of the current game flow, along with HUD stats and an icon on the villain certainly helps make the best decisions in game.

Today the activity in the chat room picked up a bit after adding a new student and we had several good hand discussions along with a few deep runs. Talking poker daily is such an important part of improving. I have been trying to increase focus so I have been cutting out distractions, but I feel if a chat is used wisely the benefits out weigh the distraction. Also for anyone that plays as much as I do, having the ability to chat with a few friends really takes away from the fact I am grinding alone and helps me feel like we are grinding together with similar goals.

I think the next few days I am going to play a smaller schedule and continue to work on having increased focused. I know that volume is important but I think its good to take a step back every now and then and work on a few things. For now I am going to go relax, but I think tomorrow will be a good day.

If you are interested in taking poker lessons or would like any information, contact me at variance101@gmail.com and/or visit http://variance101.com/# and http://variance101.blogspot.com.






No comments:

Post a Comment