9/09/2012

Keep improving

Friday I cashed in 1 out of 11 MTTs finishing 10th in the $109 30k Maximus. To be honest I am not rolled for $109s and I bought in with FPPs, and it was nice to turn an FPP buy-in into a decent cash. I feel I played well but was a little disappointed going out in 10th. After my session I went to the store for groceries preparing for a weekend grind. Bubbling a FT is never fun, but as usual I decided that no one MTT or hand will ever bring me down and tomorrow is a new day with new opportunities.

Saturday I cashed in 6 out of 15 MTTs and 0 out of 3 satellites. I was able to make two final tables finishing 5th in the $22 2k and winning the $16 1k. Pretty good day overall and it actually could have been better if I would have made a different decision in a spot or two or held when ahead a time or two. I had two spots where I made a play verse an overly aggressive player and both times my timing was off as they had monsters. I also noticed that I need to take a conscious effort to take a little more time when really deep and make sure I allow myself time to think. I felt as if I made one of my decisions a bit quickly and will be working on taking my time. But, to be perfectly honest it was nice to have a couple decent days in a row after a rough August so I am thankful for some decent results.

Taking most of last week off before starting back Friday was good for me. I hate to admit it but a couple days before I took a break I found myself waking up and wanting to play, but after a couple hours I would get tired and start to lose focus. I am sure most of y'all know how brutal it can be to be dozing off while playing. I hate registering for an MTT and then mid-way through be wishing it was time to relax. Both days I kept my sessions short and powered through but was very disappointed in myself. That is not a feeling I want to allow to happen, so I took some days off to rest up and get refreshed.

Truly I think it stems back to the fact that when I start doing something I go all out until I almost burn out. For example when I was 15 and saw a real good pool player I decided I wanted to be a good player. So I played nearly everyday for a good four or five years and reached my goal. Another example would be when I decided to improve at online poker in 2010 and I played everyday until BF. Then when BF hit I did the same thing with live poker and played everyday up until March 2012. In March I decided I would take a break and then I obsessed on Tiger Woods 13 for a couple months before deciding to tackle online again. In May when I decided to get back to online I did the same thing and I have been pretty much playing everyday and doing nothing else.

I don't seem to be very good at merging my activity ranges. When I am into something it usually has my attention so everyday when I wake up that is what I do. Another factor here is that I am a grinder and am not financially stable to the point that I can do whatever I want. When I wake up the decision is usually simple, try to make money. Luckily for me, my two passions have been pool and poker and in both high volume can really pay off. One of the only downsides is worrying about burning out some, but I am trying to get better at taking a few days off. I suppose an ideal situation would be to play a few days a week, relax a couple days a week, and between it all stay social with my friends and find time to do other things like play pool, go bowling, go fishing, or play video games with friends. You would think it would be easy but I get so involved and then end up pretty much playing poker all day everyday. I'll keep working at it.

For now my plan is to keep grinding and trying to improve. I am enjoying giving lessons and everyone I work with gives me more motivation to keep improving. The chat has been going well and I am hoping for several deep runs for #TeamVariance101 tomorrow and the rest of Maximus.

If you are interested in taking poker lessons or would like any information, contact me at variance101@gmail.com and/or visit http://variance101.com/# and http://variance101.blogspot.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment