2/27/2013

Howdy partner

Last night was 6max at Hard Rock Tulsa for the Oklahoma State Championship Series. There was a decent turnout for a Tuesday at 7pm with 80 players. I went out fairly early when I opened to 500 at 100/200 with 99 from UTG with about 6k. It folded around to the BB who called. The flop was 965, I bet 750 and he called. Turn was a 4, he checked and I bet 1200 and he called. River was a 2 and he shoved all in. We have some history and at the time I was thinking he probably hit a straight on the river, but I also was thinking about how he is capable of doing this with hands other than straights, and I was a bit tunnel visioned on the fact that it was around 2200 to call to win 12k or so. In hindsight I think that the villain is truly just fishy enough to play his hand face up and shove like he did. I should have just folded. A disappointing error, but we live and learn. In a way this can refer back to my most recent article. I knew I should fold even though the price was great and there may have been a small percentage of the time he has hands I still beat. But, instead I let some of the wrong thoughts over power and I went away from the default play to go with a read and hit the showers. Reads are great and very useful, but we have to  make sure we are going to be correct a huge percentage of the time and not get crazy and justify bad play by saying, "I had a read."

The 150k guaranteed starts tomorrow at 10am with flight Day1A. There we be two other starting days, Friday and Saturday at 10am for Day1B and Day1C. Day2 is Sunday at 10am and should be a pretty good size field and a long day. This is the first time the started the big guarantee at 10am instead of noon an I bet they hear lots of comments. I prefer noon but I will handle it fine. I will say Hard Rock is decent at listening to the players and fixing things. They have really improved the structures over the last couple years and there is plenty of play. It is not quite as good as WSOPc structures but it is fairly close. Good luck to everyone that plays, run good and play good for the win.

Tonight is a $230 partners tournament with 30 min levels where you tag team in on the same stack with your partner playing 30 min at a time. I am playing with a good friend from Arkansas and I plan on having a good time. Most partner tournament are Jack and Jill where a boy and girl alternate a stack. This will be only my second time to play an open partner tournament. Good times!

If you are interested in taking poker lessons or would like any information visit http://variance101.com/# or email me at variance101@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment